This is sewing project number two for tonight – I’m on a roll! It’s still nighttime, though, so I have more icky badly-lit photos for you.
Matthew got a sweater out of the closet and offered to let me refashion it. Awesome, right? It’s another sweater with stripes that were a little too bold for his taste. Plus, it was big on him too. Here is the terrible before shot:
Ugh! I really do hate posting photos of myself on this site at all. They’re all terrible. Poor Matthew took the photos for me this time, and I was a bit bossy trying to get him to take one that looked attractive. I make really weird faces for photos! And these before shots in big awful sweaters….well, let’s just say I’m posting these against my better judgement.
I spent a lot more time and thought on this sweater than I did on my last one. I actually cut it completely apart, trimmed the pieces, and then sewed it all back together. The sweater fabric was slick – like a thick jersey – and it wanted to roll up on itself. So it was definitely safer to cut it up than to try to just sew it tighter here and there.
I roughly made my pattern using a sweater that I just received in the mail from Target. The length was about the same, and it fit nicely.
I love the colored stripes in this sweater. The burgundy that I chose to match for the inner stripe is actually my least favorite. I really don’t like burgundy in general. It reminds me of 90′s home decor. But I had a nice thick knit remnant in this color, and it matched the sweater in both color and weight. So burgundy it was!
I’m glad to have another cardigan to add to my collection for the winter. I think I should start a series called “raiding your husband’s closet” or something!
Here’s one final before & after shot to compare: